For the first time ever, a rare and potentially fatal brain-eating amoeba has come up in South Korea. Primary amebic meningoencephalitis is a rare and serious infection caused by the amoeba naegleria fowleri. It is commonly found in warm freshwater and soil.
The 50-year-old affected person has passed away, the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) reports. The man had returned to Korea following a four-month sojourn in Thailand. Although it is not feasible for the sickness to spread from person to person. KDCA has encouraged people to stay away from freshwater lakes. They are also encouraging to use caution when participating in water sports. To prevent water from entering the nose when engaging in aquatic activities, the government has also encouraged people to use nose clips or hold their nostrils shut.
In South Korea, this is the first instance of the disease causing such infection. The KDCA notes that swimming in polluted water and nasal rinsing with contaminated water are the two main causes of illness. Despite the fact that it has not yet determined the exact mode of transmission.
What is Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM)?
When contaminated water enters the nose and travels to the brain, it can result in the rare fatal infection known as PAM. Within five days of infection, symptoms usually start to show up and can include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, seizures, etc. The infection can cause a coma and even death in extreme circumstances.
The rarity of the amoeba and the lack of specialized diagnostic testing make PAM currently incurable. It also makes the infection challenging to identify. Individuals frequently use medications in conjunction with supportive care to treat problems and manage inflammation.
The KDCA stated that it is attempting to stop new diseases from occurring. It is also advising the public to use caution when partaking in water-related activities. The agency is also advising individuals to stay out of warm, stagnant water bodies. Also, to stay out of the water if they have cuts on their skin.
The Brain Eating Amoeba has turned out to be fatal so far. The government is advising people to be cautious.
For more news, click here.