The Delhi government today said that the power subsidy to nearly 46 lakh people in Delhi will discontinue from Friday. It happened because lieutenant governor VK Saxena is yet to clear the file to extend the subsidy to consumers. The announcement has set off a fresh blame game between the Aam Aadmi Party and the LG. And, who have frequently clashed on the division of power.
Delhi power minister announced in a press conference that, from Monday onwards, people will get flattered bills without subsidy,”. He blamed the LG for sitting on the crucial file even though the AAP government approved the budget to continue the subsidy in the coming year. Therefore, the subsidy we give to 46 lakh people will stop from today.
Calling the allegations baseless, Mr. Saxena’s office advised Atishi to “refrain from unnecessary politicking. The LG asked about the decision that was pending till April 4 went the deadline was April 15. He also questioned about the file that he received on April 11.
Delhi government advised the power minister to refrain from unnecessary politicking and baseless, false allegations against LG. She should stop misleading people with false statements. LG also said what’s the need for a drama on 13th April by writing a letter and the press conference today?”
Atishi claimed that she had sought a five-minute appointment with Mr. Saxena to discuss the power subsidy, but hasn’t received a response in more than 24 hours now.
The AAP government in Delhi provides free electricity to consumers with 200 units of monthly consumption. Those consuming 201 to 400 units get a 50 percent subsidy, capped at Rs 850.
Last year, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced that a power subsidy would be provided to only those consumers who apply for it. According to official figures, over 48 lacks among more than 58 lakh domestic consumers have applied for power subsidies.